May 10, 2005

A Long Day Already or Would You Like Some Cheese With That Whine?

The good thing about this morning was that I slept until 8 o'clock and had very little of the killer headache that ate my brain left. The bad news starts with the fact that I was supposed to be out of bed no later than 7 o'clock.

As with every family, things must happen at certain times for everything to fall more or less into place. Or sometimes it just all goes kablooie. Justin got out of bed and went to check his e-mail to find out when his CLE class was happening today. Then his mom called to ask him to visit a friend in the hospital who is not going to survive lung cancer much longer. By the time he got off the phone, it was 8. Which meant, he hadn't made sure I was up, hadn't showered and eaten breakfast, hadn't woken the kids up and hadn't gotten outside to put the full sized tire back on his car (flat on Friday, got it fixed Saturday, but never got around to putting it back on).

I hopped out of bed, threw on clothes, woke up The Boy, threw clothes on him, gave him a peanut butter and honey sandwich and some water for the car and took him and The Baby Girl to school. Then the Baby and I came home and I was just about to fix myself a nice, steeped, hot, caffienated beverage when I looked at the clock, realized it was Tuesday and remembered that at that precise moment I was supposed to be taking The Baby to her six month doctor's check up.

Mama called the doctor and the doctor said that it was okay to bring the monkeys a little late. Threw clothes on The Girl who had gotten out of pjs but not into anything else, dumped some Chex Mix in a bag for her to eat at the doctor's office, buckled everyone up and was happy that we only live a few minutes from Vanderbilt.

Except that useful information, like they blocked off streets and my usual parking garage entrance hadn't been passed along to me. So that required some turning around and waiting and manuevering and finally parking the behemouth (not so) mini-van in a little space next to a pillar.

There were shots. Those always make for a happy visit!

We had time to come home and eat a bite, but then it was back in the car again to pick up The Boy and find out that school pictures are really expensive! Class photos for $15! And everything else is even more. Yipes!

At lunch The Girl dumped her fruit on the floor. When I was getting her down for a nap, the upholstery guy showed up. Fortunately, unlike yesterday when people showed up at the door and The Boy just let them in and showed them to my room without my even knowing they were there, he did remember the coaching today and came and got me instead of opening up the house to strangers. I think I scared the bejeebers out of him yesterday, which is only fair since, though I knew people were coming to look at something, hearing them in the house when I came out of The Girl's room scared the bejeebers out of me.

So the upholstery guy came. I want to eventually get our living room sofa recovered. It's old. It's nice and it will be worth it to recover and not replace it. But first I needed to know exactly how much it would cost and how much fabric I will need. So I called a place that came highly recommended and had them come out to give me an estimate. It's probably cheaper than buying a sofa like ours brand new -- if such things exist -- but it isn't cheap. Time to start saving more shekels or learn how to recover furniture.

Then the mattress guys called -- we got our slim box spring, only to discover that it didn't fit and that our bed is so old it requires a special size box -- and they can't deliver our new box spring until tomorrow. Some day. Some day. Still the Capital City Mattress guys have been extremely nice to work with and I would buy from them again for sure.

I finally got my first cup of hot tea at lunch time. It isn't enough. I definitely need another. Tea in the afternoon sounds like a wonderful idea.


Wow. You've been BUSY! (As if you didn't know.) Maybe tomorrow will be less hectic.

Posted by: Terry Oglesby at May 10, 2005 03:19 PM

Glad you're feeling better, hope things calm down for you!

Posted by: Busy Mom at May 10, 2005 03:34 PM

Oh dear, I hate days like that!
So how is The Baby doing?

Posted by: Blair at May 10, 2005 04:33 PM

She's short and fat (percentile-wise) and very sleepy from her shots.

Posted by: Jordana at May 10, 2005 04:35 PM

Better sleepy than cranky!

Posted by: Blair at May 10, 2005 11:36 PM

Hey, quit your crying and get to work. You've been tagged by Tony.

Posted by: Frazier at May 11, 2005 07:30 AM